Friday, October 16, 2009

The Proust Questionnaire



I am a huge admirer of Vanity Fair's monthly mixing of a celebrity and the Proust Questionnaire. In fact, this last page mainstay is always the first place I turn. I mean, who doesn't want to know what Martha Stewart's favorite names are, or what Martin Scorsese's idea of perfect happiness is? I am thrilled that a compilation of all the magazine's Proust Questionnaires is now available in book form. Now I can stop ripping the good ones out and then losing them in the paper mountains of all my other magazine "inspirations."

Dating all the way back to 19th Century Parisian Salons, this former parlor game, thought up by the divine (Disclaimer: I've never read anything he has written, but he's French and a writer, so by default....divine) author Marcel Proust, has stood the test of time and remains both relevant and intriguing. I have always wanted to take it myself, so what better time than the present?

Your favorite qualities in a man? Charm and an ability to not take himself too seriously.

Your favorite qualities in a woman? Independence first and foremost...

What is your idea of perfect happiness? A world with no illness and a well-designed old house full of art, books, photos and children.

What is your greatest fear? Losing those close to me and a perpetual fear of abandonment...

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Cowardice...I need to learn how to stand up for myself and speak my mind or as my mother would say, the gloves need to come off.

What is the trait you most deplore in other? I could go on and on but mainly: egotism and self-delusion, with the latter becoming almost epidemic.

Which living person do you most admire? I should say Obama or a selfless humanitarian but I'm going to be honest. Kate Winslet.

What is your greatest extravagance? Living relatively well in Los Angeles.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Honesty in all instances. Not always the best policy.

On what occasion do you lie? When I determine that honesty is indeed not the best policy.

What do you dislike most about your appearance? I have big feet and small eyes.

Which living person do you most despise? I have quite a few...Bin Laden, George W. Bush, the dumbass who wrote "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell," Paris Hilton, Sarah Palin...I know I'm missing somebody...

Which words or phrases do you most overuse? "F--k me!," "Bloody hell" and lately, "I die." Thank you Rachel Zoe.

When and where were you happiest? The first time I ever walked onto a working film or television set, which happened to be "Dawson's Creek" in Wilmington, NC in the fall of 2000. A total defining moment.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I would change my attitude towards exercise.

What do you consider your greatest achievement? I haven't come close to achieving it yet but thus far, my ability to pinpoint who it is I want to be. I can totally see it. Now I just have to get there.

If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what would you be? A lovely French girl.

Where would you like to live? My ultimate dream is to divide my time between Los Angeles and Cincinnati. If you want really specific, I would like an old Victorian home in Cincinnati and a mid-century modern dwelling in LA....

What is your most treasured possession? Since people and animals aren't possessions...my matchbook collection.

What is your favorite occupation? Art house movie theatre owner or Egyptologist...depends on my mood.

What do you most value in your friends? I value their ability to stick around.

Who are your favorite writers? F. Scott Fitzgerald, Anais Nin, Helen Fielding, Edith Wharton.

Who is your favorite hero/heroine of fiction? Isabel Archer from "Portrait of a Lady."

Which historical figure do you most identify with? Marie Antoinette.

What is your greatest regret? Not studying abroad when I was younger.

How would you like to die? In my sleep and not alone.

What are your favorite names? Eloise, Charlotte, Lilah, Ever, Kate...

What is your present state of mind? Cautious optimism.

What is your motto? "Keep calm and carry on."

To buy the book and read what some actual interesting people have to say, click here...

2 comments:

Brooke, Adam and Olivia said...

Eloise?!?! Are you talking about my great-aunt? Fun questions and interesting answers.

Hiwalks said...

Jennifer Aniston. You were forgetting Jennifer Aniston.