Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Anna in Wonderland


I was anxiously awaiting the September issue of Elle Decor for two reasons. The first is because, well, it's really the only one left standing among the rubble of the great design magazines. (R.I.P Domino, House and Garden, InStyle Home, Vogue Living....) Second, it's the Fashion+Stylemaker Issue. Fashion and stylemaker are two words that, when used on the cover of a home design mag, are music to my glamour-starved ears. It never disappoints...

This year, the standout was one of my favorite stylemakers, the awesome and always eccentric Anna Sui. My favorite dress of all time is a black lace "Anna Sui for Anthropologie" number with a cute little ruffle at the bottom. I have worn it for years and it makes me feel better about myself than anything else in my closet.

In any case, it's no surprise that her interior design aesthetic is nothing short of spectacular. She takes risks, she likes black+white and she's not afraid to be a little different. A woman after my own heart...


Can we just ruminate for a second on the perfection that is this tiny kitchen? I almost didn't post this picture because if I ever actually own a home and can design my own kitchen, I might steal an element or two from this one. Love the black+white (obviously!), love the quirky, Regency-style cabinets mixed with the clean lines of the subway tiles. Oh, and the swirly backsplash....love! (I might need to pull out my trusty Thesaurus to find an appropriate synonym for "love." I am getting as tired of typing it as you probably are of hearing it!)


Lately, I have become pretty obsessed with wallpaper in bathrooms. The one above is similar to one of my favorites, Walnut Wallpaper's Malabar. Also, the tile floor is heavenly and reminds me of the ladies restroom in one of my favorite L.A. haunts, The Alcove. Yes, I have been known to head in there from time to time just to look at it and wish I had something like it in my own house....I'm rather odd, I know.


Last but certainly not least, the "Alice in Wonderland meets Modern-Day Marie Antoinette" closet. What little girl wouldn't want to play dress up in here? My ultimate design fantasy is to have an entire room as a closet. A glamorous personal space with real furniture, wallpaper, etc. Maybe even a chair and ottoman and a little writing desk for a vanity or my computer....ahhh fantasies.

P.S. After some thought, I now realize I was wrong about Elle Decor being the last of the worthy design magazines. There is the aforementioned California Home+Design and the always delightful Angeleno Interiors to consider. I stand corrected.

*All images from Elle Decor*

No comments: