Saturday, August 15, 2009

{Fantasies of Fall...}


Dear Fashion Fairy Godmother....

Yes, it's almost "that" season again. Autumn, or as I like to call it, the Season of Spending. It's the time of year where I routinely consider freezing my credit cards in blocks of ice. Seriously. I rationalize that fall is a "new beginning" due to years of back to school shopping and even though I am many (many) years out from having to go back to school, is still somehow feels like a new beginning. So I shop. Every year. Like a madwoman.

This year, however, is different. Taking the bad economy into consideration, I have set my sights on the one perfect piece that I must have, and it has come in the form of a black and white (of course!), high necked, slightly victorian gothic frock from none other than the previously swooned over darling of darkness herself, Anna Sui. Never mind that it's $600. I call it a physical manifestation of my own personal style, which equals priceless in my book.



Oh, and adding the little black blazer and boots (um, normal under the knee boots please. I have no delusions of grandeur about my abilities to pull off thigh highs...)? Perfection. It's like she jumped into my head and pulled out my fantasy ensemble. While we're on it, the medium black Balenciaga motorcycle bag would be a beyond fabulous addition to this outfit...just saying. Ok ok, one wish at a time.

So yes, my Fashion Fairy Godmother, should you grant me this wish, I will promise to break my bad fall shopping habits, which include (but are certainly not limited to) the following...

1. I promise to not make shameful impulse buys at Anthropologie and then follow it with even more shameful "guilt returns" once the credit card bill comes. I now recognize that drooling over a catalog which happens to promote a lifestyle that only seems to exist for glamorous European socialites is wrong, and buying the clothing featured in these catalogs will NOT make me feel like Charlotte Casiraghi or Camilla Al Fayed sauntering into the Hotel Costes in Paris for afternoon tea. I've seen the harsh reality of that fantasy, and I am 86 Euro poorer because of it.

2. Similarly, I will not become entranced by the pretty, vintage-looking barware and entertaining accoutrement that Anthropologie peddles in their rather enchanting tablescapes. A few days ago, while in the store, I came across a set-up that looked like it was meant for a romantic brunch in the woods, complete with an antique chandelier hanging from a faux "branch," silver-leafed egg cups, glorious green velvet napkins, delicately engraved champagne flutes and utensils that looked like little trees. I stared for 5 minutes, circling the table like a shark as I debated what to buy for my own future fantasy party in the woods. I even came up with a fantasy outfit for the occasion: grey cashmere sweater, perfect-fitting dark skinny jeans (I also happen to have Giselle's legs in said fantasy) and my black Hunter Wellies that I got for Christmas last year and have yet to wear because, really, who knew it never actually rained in Southern California?
Unfortunately, I am then shaken from my reverie by my husband, who is alarmed by my constant circling and far-off gaze. I blabber on about my rustic dining fantasy and show him the fabulous egg cups. He looks at me, somewhat annoyed, and goes, "Um, where is the television going to go? You know a meal isn't complete without a sitcom or Sportcenter playing in the background." (No joke). Back to reality. I put the egg cup down, turned to walk out of the store and thought, maybe in my next life...

3. I also vow to stop buying clothes at Forever 21 just because they are cheap. I have to say, trying to squeeze your adult breasts into something meant for flat-chested teenagers while the 12-year-old in the room next to you is squealing at her mom to get her a double zero just isn't worth it.

4. I will avoid home stores at all costs because it never ends well. Ever. Ditto for Barneys and Book Soup. Avoid....

5. I will not justify buying something on credit with the thought that I can pay it off in ____ number of months. In my lust-filtered reasoning, I always forget about a little thing called interest. I am pretty sure the APR on my American Express is about 21 percent right now...

5. Last but not least, I promise not to buy every Halloween tchotchke and pumpkin scented candle I come across in August just because I am tired of summer and need a change. Decorating for any holiday three months early is not normal and certainly not cute.

Oh yes, and we'll talk more about that Balenciaga bag next time...


xo-Stephanie

5 comments:

Hiwalks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hiwalks said...

I made a grammatical mistake. Take two!

"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it."

Anonymous said...

Steph! I loved this post! I was laughing the entire time! I can totally hear you saying all of this as I am reading! Oh! And you MUST have that dress....I repeat MUST! xo -Jami

Adrienne said...

Hey Steph,

Love the blog. Obviously I can relate to this one. Anthropologie calls my name all day every day.
-Adrienne

Brooke, Adam and Olivia said...

You are too funny and I hear so much of Helen Fielding in you! However, a $600 dress?!?! Mercy me!